Public Houses

The Plough Inn, Hickling.
The Plough Inn, Hickling (2019).

In the years before strict licensing laws and when many households simply ‘brewed their own’, it was possible to throw open your back door, your front door or your front window and sell a mug of what was needed. This makes older pubs which are no longer doing business very difficult to pin down; Hickling appears to have had 7 (or maybe more) public houses – much of the activity coinciding with the busiest years for the canal.

The following listings aren’t complete but give some idea of dates and landlords and landladies (click on each heading to go to the detailed page for each pub):


The Navigation

(built in 1804)

   
1844 - 1872?Mr J ShipmanAfter his death his widow, Hannah Shipman, continued – at some point she was joined by their son, Charles Shipman (perhaps around 1864). They were predominantly farmers. Listings refer to Hannah and Charles Shipman at least until 1872.
1873WY Spriggs(referenced here in March 1873; no precise detail)
1877Mr John Glover(referenced here in September 1877; no precise detail)
1879Mr Richardson(referenced here in January 1879; no precise detail)
1879Mr Lamb(referenced here in October 1879; no precise detail)
1884Mr George Lambdies at The Navigation – 28th July 1884
1885 - 1904Mrs Sarah Lamb
1903Mr Harry & Mrs Sarah Parnham(see The Plough) – seem to be living at The Navigation (Wadkin archive) although not as licensees
1904Sarah Lamb, Oliver Ginnevertransfer of licence from Sarah Lamb to Oliver Ginnever (August 1904)
1905John William Oatestemporary transfer of licence to John William Oates (January 1905); full transfer from Oliver Ginnever to John Oates (March 1905)
1907Rigley, Oates, Freeboroughtransfer of licence from John Oates to John Thomas Freeborough (March 1907) and then to William Rigley (August 1907)
1908Alfred WalkerFollowing death Of William Rigley, temporary transfer of licence to Alfred Walker (January 1908) NB. Rigley sometimes spelt as Wrigley.
1910Mr Walker
1911Mr Spencer, Mr John Thomas Rowbotham (census)
1912ceased as a public house
1920Mrs Cartbought by Mrs Cart for £300 and renamed, ‘Bridge View’.

The Plough:

   
1822George Hives(referenced here in 1822, no precise detail)
1844Mrs Abigail Hives(referenced here in August 1845, Dec 1846 and February 1863, no precise detail)
1864Mr Thomas Speed
1871John Speed(referenced here in 1876 when the building was sold to Mr Price & referenced again in April 1878; no precise detail)
1877 - 1894Mr Arthur Price
1881Joseph Harris(census)
1881July 1881: To Let – vacant c. August; “Large clubroom, bar-parlour, taproom, brewhouse, dairy, cellar, homestead, kitchen garden, good orchard, six stall stable, two loose boxes, piggery and other outbuildings.”
1884Reference to a supper being held in the new room at The Plough
1893Arthur PriceReference to death of Arthur Price (August 1893)
1895Mr Thomas & Mrs Elliott(referenced here in October 1895 & ‘host and hostess Elliott’ in July 1896; no precise detail)
1897Mrs Richardsonlicence transferred from Thomas Elliott to Sarah Ann Richardson (March 1897)
1898Mrs Sarah Pickeringlicence transfer Sarah Ann Richardson to Sarah Pickering. Mrs Pickering married Harry/Henry Parnham in 1899 & then, according to Wadkin archive photographs, moved to live at the Navigation in 1903)
1899Harry & Sarah Ann Parnham (previously Pickering) referenced July 1899
1904Mrs Edgson(referenced Host and Hostess Edgson – July 1904)
1905ElliottReferenced Host and Hostess Elliott – July 1905
1905Sampson Cupit & Eliza Ashworth (Ashwell)licence transfer (Oct 1905) Sampson Cupit to Eliza Ashworth. Ashworth also referenced July 1907, July 1908 (‘hostess Ashwell’ – mis-spelling of Ashworth?). Ashwell also referenced in 1909.
1909Lewis Chamberstemporary licence transfer (October 1909) to Lewis Chambers. Still there for 1911 census.
1910Mr Chambers & Mr Joe Booth
1917 - 1923Mrs Elizabeth Ann Widdisondied November 1923
1924 - 1956Mrs Ethel M Armstrong(Mr Armstrong died in 1925 and Ethel continued alone until 1956)
1956Mr Burton Timms
1959Mr Frank Hill
1978Mr R Burrows
1980Mr Taylor
? to 1997?Mr Justin CollierSadly, Justin died very young whilst still landlord.
1997 - 1999?Dickie Doyle18 months from July/Aug 1997?
?Mr Chris Howard(1999?)
2000?Pete Thacker
2002?Keith & Dawn?
2004 - 2007?Mr Mark Nicholls(July 2004 - May 2009?)
2007?Dave (?)brought in by the brewery as an interim manager for a few months.
2008 - 2010?Mr Bill Sweet & Ms Penny Brown(Oct 2008 - ?)
Closed?Sold by Scottish & Newcastle - no longer a 'tied house'.
2011 - 2017?Mr Bob & Mrs Sue Rook(April 2011 - Sept 2017?)
2017 - 2019?Nicola Thompson and Amelia(March 2017 - May 2019?)
2019 - presentDanny & Andy & Mr Jeremy (Jez) & Mrs Sarah Flacks-Wood(July 4th 2019 - present)

The Wheel Inn

(now The Wheelhouse)

   
1822Mr Daft(referenced here in 1822, September 1832, April 1834 and February 1840; no precise detail. Some unconfirmed reference to Joseph Daft and/or his son John, 'wheelwright & publican'.
1840Thomas Hickling(referenced here in May 1840; no precise detail)
1844Mrs Hives(referenced here in January 1844; no precise detail)
1851Richard Parr
1853Mrs Eliza and Mr Tom Munks (victualler & shoemaker)The Wadkin archives give two different dates here: 1853 and 1864 – unable to clarify, to date but Tom Munks is referenced here in August 1859 (no further detail)
1903Mr Munksdied here on January 30th 1903, age 76.
1910Mrs Munksdied & property offered for sale
1911Charles MunksAn Objection is served on Charles Munks at the Petty Sessions on the grounds that the licence is redundant on the basis that there are three other fully licensed houses and one beerhouse in the village.
1912Glen HardingBought by Mr Glen Harding & turned into a shop.

Fox & Hounds

(Hickling Pastures – now Fox & Hounds Farm)

   
1849William Armstronglicence transferred from William Armstrong to John Wheatley (August 1849)
1881Anne Preston
1885 - 1894John Day
1898Thomas Morristemporary licence transfer to Thomas Morris
1900Thomas Morris(licence withdrawn for drunkenness on the highway, but granted again)
1901James Rowelicence transferred Thomas Morris to James Rowe in April/May 1901.
1908George Henry Brownlicence transfer from James Arthur Rowe to George Henry Brown (who is also referenced in 1911).
1928The Birch family(property ceased being a public house & became a working farm)

The Wheatsheaf

Location unknown.

First known reference is in August 1843: John Mann (farmer) is referenced here in 1843, 1846 and 1884 – no precise detail.

The Pig & Whistle:

Late 1800s:        The Pig & Whistle stood on the corner of Folly Hall Lane; the only remaining sign of it is a circle of trees which still remain. It was never licensed and burned down, possibly at the end of the century.

Old Bowling Green:

The Old Bowling Green Public House is referred to briefly as a ‘retailer of ales’ in a village history written for the May-Time Festival in 1975 but, until recently, it was thought to be just a story. However, an article in the Leicester Journal in 1835 refers to an auction sale of, amongst other things, a beer house, “known by the sign of the bowling green”.

The Windmill Inn

Reference is made to the Windmill Inn in 1847 but we have seen no other evidence of this public house and it may, therefore, be a mistake.

The New Inn

The New Inn isn’t within Hickling parish but there are references to Hickling business being carried out there and it was sited on the edge of Hickling Pastures. The Inn (complete with Dick Turpin legends) is now known as New Inn Manor and would have been on the edge of the major through route north to south for the area (A46/Fosse Way) – it now stands just to the east of the A46 Widmerpool road island.

The Beer-Off

The colloquially known “Beer-Off” was sited to the left of the picture (below) where the Home Ales sign can be seen. It was in ‘The Old Forge’ and, alongside the Post Office, operated as a small shop for the village.

W1283b The School & Main St 1950s
W1283b The School & Main St 1950s – the sign on the left reads, ‘Home Ales’.
This was a ‘beer-off’ or off-licence into the 1970s.