A Brief Note:
- A number of the overseas links that have been explored so far, date from the mid-1800s – a time of significant population movement, either through economic migration or because of deportations; this probably explains the emergence of some interesting coincidences of time and place across different family migration histories, including:
- Samuel Woolley and Mark Starbuck both settled in a similar area in the Otago region of New Zealand and both were linked to Plough Inns, although no evidence has been found that they knew each other, either in the Hickling area or in New Zealand.
- Mark Starbuck mined and farmed in the Waipori district outside Dunedin; the same area was terrorised by the ‘Gentleman Highwayman’, Henry (Rouse) Garrett who was born in Hose, Leics. Rouse was the leader of the gang that included Samuel Morrison – both men were convicted and deported to Australia from this area (see James Morrison’s story).
Some Useful Links for Searching Migration Stories:
- Migration Museum (international): https://www.migrationmuseum.org/
- Australian National Archives: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/
- New South Wales State Archives & Records; Assisted Immigrants Index
- NSW Gov’t State Archives & Records: Assisted Immigrants Shipping Lists: https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/assisted-immigrants-digital-shipping-lists#s-1
- State Library of Victoria: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/
- Tasmania Passenger Lists: Arrival or departure (libraries.tas.gov.au)
- Library Tasmania – Convict Records: https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/
- National Library of Australia – TROVE (particularly good for newspaper reports): https://trove.nla.gov.au/
- Convict records of Australia: https://convictrecords.com.au/
- Public Records of Victoria; outwards passenger lists
- Migration Museum (Australia).
- Find My Past resources:
- The Hocken Archive: https://www.otago.ac.nz/library/hocken/index.html
- The Toitu Archive: http://www.toituosm.com/
- Archives New Zealand: passenger lists
- Ngaio Press – Passenger Arrivals: http://www.ngaiopress.com/drhocken.htm
- Papers Past (National Library New Zealand): https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/
- The Cyclopedia Of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts] 1905: The Cyclopedia of New Zealand | NZETC (victoria.ac.nz)
- New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages online; Birth, Death and Marriage Historical Records (dia.govt.nz)