Following the death of Susannah Dickman in January 1838 a number of transactions take place in settlement of the Estate:
- 1838: abstract from Parish Registers.
- 1838: attornment – William Wiles to Joseph Barnett.
- 1838: declaration.
- 1838: lease document (27th July 1838).
- 1838: mortgage document (28th July 1838).
- 1838: insurance agreement document (28th July 1838).
1838 lease – document A
- Lease is dated 27th July 1838
- The following day (28th July 1838) a mortgage agreement is made between the same parties.
- The lease:
- John and Mary Marson, Ann Wright and William and Mary Wiles lease the property to Joseph Barnett for a year
- Joseph Barnett pays each of the 3 parties; 5 shillings
- At the end of the year he pays, ‘the rent of one pepper corn at the expiration of the said term (if the said shall be legally demanded)’.
- See further notes attached to the mortgage document of the following day.
Document marked ‘A’
Title – Lease ‘A’
- Signed sealed and delivered by the within named
- John Marson, Mary Marson, Ann Wright, William
- Wiles and Elizabeth Wiles in the presence of ~ ~ ~
- Wm Enfield
- [ … …]
- Dated 27th July 1838 }
- Mr John Marson & Wife }
- Mrs Ann Wright and } Lease for a Year
- Mr William Wile & Wife }
- To }
- Mr Joseph Barnett }
- This Indenture
- Made the twenty seventh day of July ~~ in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight
- Between John Marson of Colston Bassett in the County of Nottingham yeoman and Mary his wife
- (before her marriage Mary Dickman) Ann Wright of Hickling in the said County of Nottingham widow
- (before her marriage Ann Dickman) and William Wiles of Hickling aforesaid yeoman and Elizabeth
- his wife (before her marriage Elizabeth Dickman) of the one part and Joseph Barnett of Hickling aforesaid farmer of the other part Witnesseth that
- in consideration of the sum of five shillings a piece of lawful money amount in Great Britain to the said John Marson and Mary his wife Ann Wright and William
- Wiles and Elizabeth his wife paid by the said Joseph Barnett immediately before the execution of these presents (the receipt whereof are hereby respectively acknowledged
- They the said John Marson and Mary his wife Ann Wright and William Wiles and Elizabeth his wife have and each and every of them hath bargained and sold and
- by these presents Do and each and ever of them Doth bargain and sell unto the said Joseph Barnett his executors administrators and assigns All that messuage
- or tenement with the outbuildings yard garden and appurtenances thereunto adjoined and belonging situate standing and being in Hickling aforesaid in
- the said County of Nottingham containing by estimation four hundred square yards or thereabouts (more or less) formerly in the tenure or occupation of John
- Dickman and now of the said William Wiles and bounded towards the East by the Town Street towards the North and West by premises of Job Marson and
- towards the south by premises of William Wright together with all buildings ways roads paths passages waters watercourses easements hedges ditches
- fences trees rights encumber and appurtenances whatsoever to the said messuage or tenement garden and hereditaments belonging or in anywise ~ ~
- appurtenances And all reversions and remainders rents and profits thereof To have and to hold the said messuage or tenement garden and other
- hereditaments and premises hereby bargained and sold or intended so to be unto the said Joseph Barnett his executors administrators and assigns from the
- day next before the day of the date of these presents for and during and unto the full end and term of the whole year from thereof next ensuing and fully
- to be complete and ended yielding and paying therefore unto the said John Marson and Mary his wife Ann Wright and William Wiles and Elizabeth
- his wife their heirs or assigns the rent of one pepper corn at the expiration of the said term (if the said shall be legally demanded) to the intent and
- purpose that by virtue of these presents and by force of the statute made for transferring uses into possession the said Joseph Barnett may be in the ~
- actual possession of the said premises and be thereby enabled to take and accept a grant and release of the freehold reversion and inheritance of the said
- premises and of every part and parcel thereof to him his heirs and assigns to the use and to and for the intents and purposes thereof to be declared by another
- Indenture intended to bear date the day next after the day of the date hereof and made or intended to be made between the said John Marson and Mary his
- wife of the first part the said Ann Wright of the second part the said William Wiles and Elizabeth his wife of the third part the said William Wiles of the ~
- fourth part and the said Joseph Barnett of the fifth part. In Witness whereof the said parties to these presents have hereunto set their hands and seals
- the day and year first above written
- John Marson Ann Wright Elizabeth Wiles (her mark)
- Mary Marson (her mark) William Wiles
Marginal text – A:
- This Deed marked ‘A’ was this day produced before us and acknowledged by Mary Marson
- and Elizabeth Wiles therein named to be their respective act and deed previous to which ~ ~
- acknowledgements the said Mary Marson and Elizabeth Wiles were respectively examined by us
- separately and apart from their respective husbands touching their knowledge of the contents
- of the said Deed and their consent thereto and respectively declared the same to be freely and
- voluntarily assented by them. Witness our hands this twenty eight day of July one thousand
- eight hundred and thirty eight
- [Samuel] Payne [Wm Enfield]