Shelton family

Please note: Family pages are organised by surname; however, this does not mean that all those people featured are related to each other. Where possible we will try to be clear about any connections there may be.

More can be found on the following buttons:

From the Wadkin Archives:

From ‘A Scrapbook of Hickling”:

  • During the early 1920’s the carol singers would meet on the bridge at midnight on Christmas Eve and then walk and sing along the length of the village. Sometimes they would be accompanied by Arthur Savage or Donnie Simpson playing the cornet. Usually a supper would be provided in the Chapel Sunday School. A collection would be taken after Boxing Day and the proceeds given to the Nottingham General Hospital. In 1934 the carol singers went round with a lorry driven by Mr J. Newton on which Mr. A. Shelton played a piano. At Christmas 1976, and for a few previous years, the carol singers met at the canal at 7.30 pm and proceeded through the village collecting for the National Children’s Home. Very welcome hot mince pies and coffee were served at the last house – Elm House, the home of Mr and Mrs F. Windey. The singing and supper were finished by 10.30 pm.
  • Tailors Shop: Mr. Fred Shelton was the tailor and kept his shop in the house which is now the Post Office, he had two assistants. Later Mr. Shelton moved his business to Skegness and one of his assistants a Mr. Ted Willett set up a shop in a small building situated at the gateway of Holly House almost opposite the Village Hall.
  • Blacksmith: Mr. Alwyn Shelton was at one time the blacksmith with the W. Burnett firm. The building still stands and runs along the path side just south of Long Lane. During the 1920’s Mr. Shelton built himself a shop on a piece of land opposite the Manor gate. In May 1966 the shop and orchard in which it stands, the plot being approximately 1,175 sq. yds. was offered for sale at a price of £1,100. It was bought by the builders Hills and Little of Cropwell and converted to a bungalow. At the present
  • Lane Lettings: April 1919 – Bridegate Lane (Mrs . A. L.Collishaw) – £6. 15s . 0d  Green lane (Mr. F. Woolley) –  £6. Broughton Lane  (Mr. C Shelton) £5. 5s. 0d Clawson Lane (Mr. E. Parr) £6.  Folly Hall Lane (Mr. T. Elliott) 1/-.
  • Lane Lettings: April 1922 – Bridegate Lane (Mr. T.Elliott) £4. Green Lane (Mr. Noel Marriott)   £4 Broughton Lane (Mr. Arthur Shelton)  £4. 12s . 6d. Clawson Lane (Mr. T.G.Wiles) £4. Folly Hall Lane (Mr. T. Elliott) 1/-.
  • May 1908 Sale by auction at ‘ The Wheel Inn ‘ at 4 for 5 o’clock the estate of G. H. Collishaw deceased. Lot 5. Plot of land with windmill thereon situate in Mill Lane containing approximately 39 perches. Sold to Mrs. A. F. Shelton for £27. 10s …
  • Cottages on Bridegate Lane: July 1923. To be sold at ‘The Plough Inn’ a pair of semi-detached cottages.
    • (a) “Country cottage with garage, outbuildings, garden situate fronting to Smithfield Lane, recently in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Hickling”. At a later date Mr. and Mrs. Albert Rose (nee Emmie Simpson) lived in this house and after the death of Mr. Rose his daughter June and her husband left and the house was offered for sale.
    • (b) “Brick built and tiled cottage semi-detached from above cottage now in the occupation of Mr. Edward Hickling”. This cottage was bought by Mr. Alwyn F. Shelton for £420. Later on, Sir Jessie Hind of Kinoulton owned the cottage and Mrs. Aston was the tenant. It was again sold, this time at Kinoulton public house, for £100 with £40 out of £100 to be spent on repairs. The buyer was Mr. J. Coombs.
  • May 1961 ‘Cromwell House ‘ to be sold by Auction by Shouler and Son for the exors . of the late Miss. M.E.Shelton (Polly). Brick and slated semi-detached house, small hall, lounge, dining and living rooms, kitchen, 4 bedrooms and attic. Bakehouse suitable for garage. Bought by Mr. and Mrs. Timms. Cottages at rear sold to Tom Edson. Later sold to Mr.Peter Penson.

From “Hickling Reflections of Yesteryear”:

  • For children attending the Methodist Chapel, the Sunday school commenced at ten o ‘ clock where Mr. Alwyn Shelton was the superintendent. The highlight of the year was the Sunday school anniversary held on the last Sunday in June. The platform was erected in three tiers on which the children sat in their very best or new clothes. The girls wearing a new ribbon in their hair. The Chapel was packed with people both for the afternoon and evening services with extra forms placed along the aisles and in the porch. The following day, which was a half day holiday from school, a children’s tea was held in the Chapel schoolroom, any children from the village were invited to attend. This was followed by a public tea at five o ‘ clock. Games took place in Home Close, Mr. Dickman’s field opposite Clawson Lane. The children of both Sunday schools felt extremely proud the day they were considered old enough to join the adult choirs in their respective Churches. Mr. Alwyn Shelton ran a choral society which he conducted with Miss Hilda Brooks (later Mrs. Harold Burnett) playing either the organ or piano. Selections from ‘The Messiah’ and ‘The Crucification’ amongst others were sung in both Church and Chapel. The Society also sung at Nether Broughton, Kinoulton, Long Clawson and Willoughby Churches. A Band of Hope, again run by Mr. Shelton, met in the Chapel schoolroom. Children joining signed ‘The Pledge’ which meant no drinking of alcohol during ones lifetime. Recitations and dialogues were given by the children.