Faulks Faulkes Fawkes Foulkes family

Please note: Family pages are organised by surname; however, this does not mean that all those people featured are related to each other. Where possible we will try to be clear about any connections there may be.

More can be found on the following buttons:

The Faulks family is one of the oldest families in Hickling’s history. The spelling of the name has varied over the centuries and different branches of the family have come and gone but the Faulks family continues to have a very strong presence across the Vale of Belvoir.

5 men with the surname Fawkes are recorded in the Protestation Returns in 1642 and the earliest incidence of the name in each part of the Parish Records are the baptism of John, the son of Frances Faukes, 15th September 1650; the marriage of Richard Faukes to Mary Browne, 21st January 1639 and the burial of Elizabeth Faukes (daughter of Frances), 6th January 1652. As these records are amongst the earliest that we have for Hickling, it is likely that the family was well-established at this time.

This is a very brief beginning to the history of the Faulks family in Hickling; more will be added over time and we would like to hear from you, if you can help us.

References in Chris Granger’s History of Hickling:

(app.7) In front of you at the corner of [the] pews is the poor box. on which is carved “HF RB REMEMBER THE POORE 1685” HF was Henry Faulks church warden, and RB was Richard Blower, the carpenter who made it.

(app.5) In 1856 John Faulks owns 4 properties earning an annual rent of £10.4s.0d. Another entry describes John Faulks as owner of 2 properties earning an annual rent of £5 and a third has John Faulks renting out land of 5 acres and 1 rood on Broughton Lane earning £8.19s.0. – it isn’t clear whether this are all the same or different men named John Faulks. In the same list, Luke Faulks rents from John Clifton Holmes; William Faulks from an unknown property owner; John Faulks lives on Long lane renting from an unknown owner.

(app.3 – modern references)

(main page) “In the 1851 census eight surnames survived from the seventeenth century: Daft, Faulks, Hopkinson, Mann and Marriott from the beginning. Edward Collishaw and Paul Hardy arrived soon after. (…) In the 1970s only seven surnames from the 1851 census survived.  Collishaw, Faulks, Herd, Marriott, Murden, Parkes and Woolley.” (although it should be noted that this doesn’t mean that these families are either linked or continuously present)

(main page) The poor box is dated 1686 and bears the initials HF and RB. These initials on stand for Richard Blower, who was one of the church wardens that year and a carpenter by trade, and Henry Faulks who was the only person in the village with those initials.

(main page) In 1906 Rev Francis Ashmall reported on the Sunday School outing: “The Sunday School Treat took place on Monday, August 20th, and was a great success. We understand to the extent of 108, 57 scholars and 41 adults with 7 visiting children. By means of 11 spring carts these were carried to Trent Bridge, where the party embarked on the Steamer to Colwick Park. Braving the still waters of the Trent we landed, after attempting to steam through the bank.   Colwick Hall was a pleasant resort; you can there get ice creams, a hundred laughs for a penny, either at your own expense or that of others, a cool seat in the shade, a shady walk around the lake of lilies, large mud possibilities, the sight of wild beasts and caged birds for a small sum, a really sufficing sniff for nothing, a playground and sundry other delights. At 3.45 the children found a very nice tea laid out for them in the Ball Room, very tastefully served, and to this they did ample justice. Thence they adjourned to to see the wild beasts fed. It was an angry and exciting moment,  straining the relations of Mr and Mrs Wolf, but Mr gave way politely to Mrs – Mrs had first choice and Mr took the scrag end.  The adults then partook of an excellent tea, after which they adjourned to the Sports Ground, where races were run for prizes.  The chief winners were John Mann, Bertie Ward, John Faulks, Mabel and Ethel Marriott, Elsie Doubleday, Florrie Mann, Beatrice Collishaw and Willie Lester. Mrs Woolley won the Mothers’ race and Mr Arthur Shelton the Mens’. On the return journey, biscuits and sweets were distributed on the boat, and the procession of vehicles over Trent Bridge and through West Bridgford was quite imposing. Home was reached about 9;15 pm after a most happy and enjoyable day’s pleasure. The carts were lent by Messrs. G Collishaw, J Collishaw, Edgson, G Faulks, G Mann, J Mann, J Rippon, J A Roe, I Smith, T Wiles and E Woolley; the biscuits being the present of Messrs. Skinner and Rook and Messrs. Armitage;  to one and all of whom our warmest thanks are accorded”.

(main page) In September 1916, Revd Ashmall wrote, “IN MEMORIAM JOHN GEORGE FAULKS. The first of our village heroes has fallen. Some 40 young men of our village have joined the colours since August 1914, several have been wounded, but until July 1st, in the Big Push, not one has fallen”.

St. Luke’s Churchyard: Faulks family

From the Wadkin Archives:

Reflections of Yesteryear:

(p94)The unveiling ceremony followed a service conducted by the Rev. Canon Ashrnall in St. Luke’s Church. The memorial stone, a tablet of white marble executed by Mr. Thomas Drake of Melton Mowbray, a native of Hickling who was a comtemporary scholar of the fallen was unveiled by Mr. J.L. Laws of Gotham who was headmaster of Hickling school from 1903 – 1911.

Men of this parish who fell were as follows:-

  • John Faulks                                    July 1st 1916
  • Stephen Crurnp                            September 3rd 1916
  • John Hill                                        December 9th 1916
  • Charles Simpson                           July 1st 1917
  • Cecil Simpson                               November 23rd 1917
  • William Salt                                   April 12th 1918
  • Samuel Doubleday                       May 8th 1918
  • William Collyer                             May 17th 1918

On 6th November 1927 a United Service was held in the Wesleyan Chapel in memory of fallen comrades of the Great War. The collection amounting to £3 12s 11d was sent to the headquarters of Earl Haig’s Fund. Long Clawson band played throughout the service and sounded the Last Post and Reveille at the memorial where the poppy wreath was placed.

Scrapbook of Hickling:

(p.24) Two engineers were appointed, a James Green of Wollaton for the section from the Trent to the Leicestershire border about 1.5 miles east of Hickling and a William King for the rest including the reservoirs at Denton and Knipton. Act under which work began was 1793 and the canal was wholly navigable in 1797, the cost being £118,500. The length of the canal is 33 miles and had 18 locks. Traffic on the canal upwards was mainly coal, coke, lime, building materials and groceries to villages along the line to Grantham and to places beyond which were then distributed by land carriage. Downward the canal carried corn, malt, beans, wool and other agricultural products. There were two wharves at Hickling one the basin side which is still called ‘The Wharf Yard’ and belongs to Mr. E.

Faulks (Ted) and the other side of the road which is now the front lawn of “Bridge View” owned by Mr. T. Herrick but was at one time “The Navigation” Public House.

(p31) The Wheel Inn (…) Thomas Munks was the licencee in 1864 and 1894 but by 1912 it was owned by Glen Harding who kept it as a shop but not as a public house. Later occupiers of Wheel House were as follows:-

  • Mr. Alf Herrick rented from Mr. Lane
  • Mr. Ellis Faulks (1928)
  • Miss. Power rented from Tommy Stubbs and Miss. Proudman (head mistress) lodged with her.
  • Frank Copley
  • Reg Arme.

(p35) August 1907 Scholars attending the Church Sunday School had a mostenjoyable excursion to Belvoir Castle . They assembled at 11 a.m. atClawson Lane where conveyances awaited them. The conveyances weregenerously provided for the journey by Messrs. H.Edgson, Geo. Collishaw ,James Collishaw, Geo. Faulks , John and Wm. Mann and T.G. Wiles. The homejourney commenced at 7pm and after a ride through the woods arrived homeat 9.15pm

(p.42) Football (circa 1938) Hickling’s football team was known at ‘The Swifts’ the manager being a Mr. Holland who lived down Faulks Lane. The team played in Robinson’s field (opposite ‘Elm House’ now occupied by Mrand Mrs. F. Windey). Football meetings were held in a loft over Simpson’s butchers shop.

(p60) Hickling has always been known for flooding. Outside Water Lane Farm, Church Farm, Bridegate Lane corner, Clawson Lane where the Dalby brook runs under the road and a t the top of Faulks Lane were, and indeed still are the places affected by flooding after continuous rain.

Maggie’s Memories.

(p74) Old cottages I remember quite well the old thatched house in Faulks Lane or Mucky Lane, the old Granny Parkes lived there and her daughter Jenny, who later married William Burton, this house, and I have a feeling it may have been one of the mud houses was demolished a long time ago, I wonder if the Well is still in existence, a dirty dilapidated caravan stands on part of the site today.

(p89)Mr. & Mrs. George Faulks Farmer, lived at Canal Farm before moving to ‘Sycamore Farm’ in the village where they lived until their deaths. Mrs. Faulks, a hard working woman also was a good Stilton Cheese maker, had a large family, one son being killed during the 1914-18 War, there are still three sons and one daughter living, and two grandsons and families live here in Hickling.

(p90)Mr. & Mrs. Jack Parkes (Christened John). Remember them living at Sycamore House up Faulks Lane as it is called, then moved to Church Farm (I think) where their eldest son John still lives. Mrs. Parkes was fond of music and a member of St. Lukes Choir. Mr. Parkes an excellent hedge cutter which has been handed to his sons John and Fred and his Grandson Eric, and have won awards. Mr. & Mrs. Parkes had two sons as mentioned and one daughter Margaret, all the family fond of cricket. When Granny Simpson was buying milk, we fetched it each morning in a jug from Mrs. Parkes.

(p93) Leonard (Farmer) married Lily Faulks, now 85 and living in Keyworth with her two single daughters.