A History of Hickling to 1860
and of all its Clergy.
by Christopher Granger
Notes Relating to Artefacts and Dates.
The church was dedicated in 1319 and the nave and the aisles date back to the early 14th century. The chancel was rebuilt in 1840 and the tower was rebuilt in the 1870s.
The South door is also from the early 14th century with fine foliated wrought ironwork, musket holes from the civil war and carved initials of 18th century villagers – PH was Paul Hardy.
Poor box dated 1685 made by Hickling carpenter Richard Bowley whose initials are carved on it together with HF (Henry Faulks).
The 15th century font was restored in the 19th century.
The organ was made by Henry Bryceson of Soho in 1840.
The three lock parish chest dates back to the 17th century.
The wooden war memorial was originally in Hickling’s Wesleyan Chapel and was made by Burnetts, wheelwrights of Hickling.
There are traces of pre reformation coloured geometric patterns on the beams at the East end of the nave.
In the chancel you will find the following:
Brass memorial to Ralph Babington who was rector here from 1515 to 1521. His great great nephew, Anthony Babington, was executed in 1586 for his part in the Babington plot to assassinate Queen Elizabeth.
Tomb of William 3rd Baron Vaux of Harrowden who died on 20th August 1595. He was a Roman Catholic and was tried in the Star Chamber and imprisoned for harbouring the Jesuit, Edmund Campion, and contempt of court.
Anglo Saxon coffin lid with both Christian and pagan symbols.
The backs and arms of the benches nearest the altar date back to the 14th century and have carved bosses at the ends of the arms
In the tower, there are eight bells and a Sanctus bell, the earliest dated 1602. There are also two paintings of the Royal Arms.
Built into the outside wall is a 13th century coffin lid featuring the Tree of Life.