Please note: Family pages are organised by surname; however, this does not mean that all those people featured are related to each other. Where possible we will try to be clear about any connections there may be.
More can be found on the following buttons:
Miss Mary White:
In property deeds relating to Old Mill Cottage, Miss Mary White is listed as a tenant of the cottage in the early 1900s:
- This branch of the White family appear to have been resident as farmers in Hickling from sometime between 1858 when Mary White was born in East Leake and their first appearance in Hickling Census returns in 1861.
- Census 1891 (Main Street, Hickling)
- John White, age 56, 1835, farmer – born East Leake
- Caroline White, age 67, 1824 – born Willoughby
- Mary White, daughter, single, age 33, 1858 – born East Leake
- William White, son, single, age 24, 1867 – born Hickling
- In Q3 1896 (Melton District) Elizabeth White married Ernest Henry Shelton in Hickling
- Wadkin archive W0052; photograph of the families ‘outside the home of the White family on Hickling Pastures. Mr & Mrs White and family moved here from East Leake in the early 1860s. The farm, the last house on the right hand side of the main road to Nottingham, stands a field away from the road. Mr & Mrs Ernest Shelton lived in Hickling at Elm House, the last house on the road to Nether Broughton.
- Census 1901 (Hickling); Ernest (blacksmith) and Elizabeth Shelton with their two daughters, Caroline and Elizabeth. This record shows that Elizabeth was born in Hickling c.1869.
- Census 1901 (Hickling Village)
- John White, age 70, 1831, grazier – born East Leake
- Caroline White, age 77, 1824 – born Willoughby
- Mary White, daughter, single, age 43, 1858 – born East Leake
- Frank P Brooks, boarder, single, age 25, 1876, wheelwright – born Norfolk
- Census 1911 (Hickling Village):
- John White, widower, age 78, 1833, farmer – born East Leake, Notts
- Mary White, daughter, single, age 52, 1859, farmer’s daughter dairy work – born East Leake, Notts
- Arthur Henry Robinson, boarder, single, age 30, 1881, wheelwright – born Tamworth, Staffs
- As the Outhwaite family are known to be resident in this property in 1909, it is likely that Mary White moved in at some point following the death of her father in 1917.
- “White John of Hickling Nottinghamshire grazier died 25th June 1917 Probate Nottingham 28th August to Mary White Spinster. Effects £185.18s”
- Betsy Collishaw’s Will in 1918 records Miss Mary White as the current occupier of the cottage.