- Charles Hodson took ownership of the property on the death of his wife, Mary Ann (formerly Corner) in 1914.
- Charles Hodson died 23rd April 1933 (he had no children of his own).
- Conveyance document dated 11th December 1934.
- “The Personal representatives of Mr Charles Hodson dec’d to Mrs BA Hodson and Miss MJ Hodson. Conveyance of two messuages cottages and premises situate at Hickling in the County of Nottingham.” Latham New & Smyth, Melton Mowbray.
- *Bertha Annie Hodson (sister of Charles) – recorded in the conveyance as wife** of William Hodson of Glapthorn Rd. Oundle, Northants
- *Mary Jane Hodson (sister of Charles), spinster of Hickling
- *the grantees
- Emily Richardson (sister of Charles), no. 12 Khandalla Place, Beeston Hill, Leeds in the County of York, widow
- Harry Hodson (brother of Charles) of 13 Belton Street, Stamford in the County of Lincoln
- Charles Hodson is recorded as a poultry keeper and is the sole owner of the property (without encumbrances).
- Probate was granted on his estate on 14th Nov 1933.
- He died a widow (no children or parents); the above-named are the only persons with a claim on the estate.
- Emily Richardson and Harry Hodson have released their shares and concur with the conveyance; the property is conveyed jointly to the grantees* with full powers to receive rents or to sell at their discretion.
- “two messuages or cottages and hereditaments (formerly one messuage or tenement) with the garden and orchard and appurtenances thereto adjoining and belonging situate at Hickling”
- At the time of the conveyance, the properties are occupied by Mary Jane Hodson, Edward Willett and GF Shelton.
- The only Hickling witness to the signatures is Richard Copley [saddler].
- (no transcript – originals are typewritten; see images, below)
CHARLES HODSON died 23rd April 1933 aged 65yrs
also Mary Ann, wife of Charles born 19th September 1826 died 17th June 1914
‘in loving memory of Mary Anne, wife of Charles Hodson, born Sept 19th 1826, died June 17 1914
I know that me redeemer liveth
also Charles, the beloved husband of the above, died April 23rd 1933 aged 65yrs’
Charles Hodson was not a native of Hickling. He was baptised in King’s Cliffe, Northamptonshire, one of at least 6 children born to Daniel and Jane Hodson.
- In the 1871 census Charles is living with his parents in Deene, Northamptonshire
- Daniel Hodson 36yrs Ag lab b. Deenethorpe Northants
- Jane 32yrs wife b.King’s Cliffe, Northants
- Emily 8yrs daug “
- Robert 7yrs son “
- Henry 5yrs son “
- Charles 3yrs son “
- In the 1881 census the family are still living in Deene, Northamptonshire
- Daniel Hodson 48yrs Ag lab b. Deenethorpe, Northants
- Jane 42yrs wife b. King’s Cliffe, Northants
- Harry 14yrs son scholar b. Deenethorpe, Northants
- Charles 13yrs son “ “
- Mary Jane 8yrs daug “ “
- Bertha Ann 7yrs daug “
- In Hickling:
- Robert Corner dies in 1888 and Mary Ann Corner is his sole executor and beneficiary (Corner’s Yard/Hodson’s Yard – family connections).
- 1889: a marriage is recorded between Charles Hodson (bricklayer’s labourer, age 21) and Mary Ann Corner (age 63).
- There are frequent references to Charles Hodson in the Grantham Journal; particularly in relation to the annual horticultural and produce shows and also the Church and village events.
- 1891 Census:
- Charles Hodson – married – age 29 – born 1862 – bricklayer labourer – b. Northants
- Mary A Hodson – married – age 63 – b. Nether Broughton
- 1901 Census:
- Charles Hodson – married – age 39 – born 1862 – draper – b. Deene, Northants
- Mary A Hodson – married – age 74 – b. Nether Broughton
- 1911 Census:
- Charles Hodson – married – age 50 – born 1862 – draper grazier – b. Deene Wansford
- Mary Anne Hodson – married – age 84 – born 1827 – b. Nether Broughton
- Mary Anne Hodson died in 1912 – Charles did not re-marry.
- 23rd April 1933: Charles Hodson dies suddenly (report in Grantham Journal) age 65.
Note: Bertha Annie Hodson**:
- ** Bertha Annie Hodson was born in 1874 and married William Hodson in 1916 (no record of whether their shared surname was coincidental or whether they were cousins)
- In the 1911 census she can be found living with her mother (Jane, widow) in Deenethorpe, Northants. Bertha Annie is listed as daughter and single; they are both laundresses.
- In the 1939 register, she is still living at 13, Glapthorn Rd, Deenethorpe. There are 2 people in the household:
- John W Wilson (single, dairy farmer, b.3rd Jan 1866)
- Bertha A Hodson (widow, unpd domestic duties, b. 27th April 1874)
Note: Mary Jane Hodson
- 1931 Electoral registers; Mary Jane Hodson is listed in Deenethorpe, Northants.
- 1934: The conveyance records Mary Jane Hodson as occupying the property but there are no records for her in Hickling (or in Deenethorpe) on the 1939 Register or in any other records after this date (NB. electoral register records are only available up to 1932).
- However, the 1944 conveyance documents for the Hickling property also record that Miss Mary Jane Hodson is ‘of Hickling’ and that she is occupier of one of the properties.
- 1946: The death is recorded of a Mary J Hodson (born 1872) in the Oundle district of Northants – not enough detail to confirm a link.