The transcript, below, is uploaded with the kind permission of Mr K Williams. The Daft family history is difficult to unravel, particularly when attempting to connect different branches of the family which means there may be discrepancies which still require some checking/confirmation.
- Lineage, below, transcribed from an Ancestry family tree & linked notes/facts.
- ‘born’ sometimes equates to ‘baptised’?
- Where death dates are missing from female members of the family, it is likely that they married and records haven’t yet been found.
- Some locations imply record districts as opposed to actual locations, for example Bingham and Melton Mowbray.
Robert Dafte; born Nottinghamshire 1447
- Married Elizabeth
- Son – Thomas born 1470, England
Thomas Dafte; born 1470, England
- Married Issabell
- Son William Dafte born 1490
- Died, Hickling 1549
William Dafte; born 1490, Nottinghamshire
- Married Alice – died 12th June 1552, Broughton Sulney
- George Dafte 1530-1614 (married Dorothie James 1530-1635) – see generation 4
- Rauf Dafte 1515 (Nottinghamshire) -1575 (Hickling)
- Robert Dafte c.1515 (Nottinghamshire) – c.1561 (Hickling)
- Thomas Dafte c.1520 (Nottinghamshire) -1549 (Hickling)
- Edmund Dafte c.1525 (Nottinghamshire) -March 1596 (Broughton Sulney)
- William Dafte died 1549, Hickling
George Dafte; born 1530.
- Married Dorothie James – born Leicester 1530, died 1635(?)
- William Dafte; no data
- George Dafte; born c. 1560 (Hickling)
- Jane Dafte; born c.1565 (Nottinghamshire)
- John Dafte; born 1565 (Hickling), died 1624 (Hickling)
- Thomas Dafte; born c.1570 (Nottinghamshire)
- Joan Dafte; born February 1572 (Broughton Sulney)
- Allis Dafte; born 1573 (Broughton Sulney)
- Joan Dafte; born c.1575 (Hickling)
- Richard Dafte; born c.1575 (Nottinghamshire)
- Elizabeth Dafte; born c.1580 (Hickling)
- Robert Dafte; c.1580 (Hickling), died September 1634 (Hickling; married Elizabeth Tomlinson & Clytemnestra Archboll (see generation 5)
- George Dafte born 1585 (Hickling) died Sept 1634 (Nottinghamshire); possible marriage record 18th August 1618, St. Mary’s Nottingham.
- Note: number of deaths in September 1634: Robert (b.1580), possibly his wife, Elizabeth and George (b.1585).
- George Dafte (snr) died 1614 (Hickling)
Robert Dafte; born c.1580 (Hickling), died September 1634 (Hickling)
- George Dafte 1613-1654; married Margaret Smith (see generation 6)
- William Dafte 1613-1676; married Dorothy (see generation 6)
- There are two possible marriage records for Robert Dafte – further research needed.
- Married Clytemnestra Archboll – 17th June 1606 (Nottinghamshire); born c.1580, died [?]
- Married Elizabeth Tomlinson – 28th June 1619, St. Mary’s, Leicester; born c.1580, died c.1634 (Hickling)
- Robert Dafte died September 1634 (Hickling)
George Dafte; born c.1613 (Hickling), died 31st March 1654 (Hickling)
- Married Margaret Smith 9th December 1638 (Radford, Nottingham) – no further data
- John Daft born 24th August 1641, died after 1654
- Grace Daft born 1642, died after 1668
- George Daft born 1645 (Nottinghamshire), died after 1654
- Margaret Daft born 28th November 1647 (Hickling)
- Robert Daft born 20th Feb 1650 (Hickling), died 26th May 1651 (Hickling)
- Robert Daft born 2nd October 1652 (Hickling)
- George Daft died 31st March 1654 (Hickling)
William Dafte; born c.1613 (Hickling), died December 1676 (Hickling)
- Married Dorothy c.1636; born c.1615, died 5th December 1676 (Hickling)
- Richard Daft born 18th February 1636 (Hickling), died 3rd April 1637 (Hickling)
- Robert Daft born 20th January 1638 (Hickling), died 1717 (see generation 7)
- William Daft born February 1638 (Nottinghamshire), died March 1638
- George Daft born 8th March 1640 (Hickling), died 1681
- Anne Daft born 14th April 1643 (Hickling), died 26th January 1651
- William Dafte died December 1676 (apparently at the same time as his wife?)
Robert Daft; born 20th January 1636 (Hickling), died 3rd April 1717 (Hickling)
- Two possible marriage records:
- Married Joan Man 26th April 1669, Hickling (his residence recorded in Hickling); no data, although the Mann family were prominent in Hickling and the surrounding areas at the time.
- Married Mary Stevens 27th January 1670 (Long Clawson); born 1648, died 23rd September 1715 (Hickling)
- William Daft born September 1673 (Hickling), died November 1686 (Hickling)
- Robert Daft born 30th May 1675 (Hickling), died 24th October 1686 (Hickling)
- (?) Elizabeth Burton (of Colwick) born 1676, died January 1728 (Nottingham)
- Theodocia Daft born November 1677 (Hickling)
- Elizabeth Daft born 14th November 1681 (Hickling), died April 1733 (Hickling)
- Stephen Daft born 28th November 1683 (Hickling), died 17th February 1767 (Sneinton)
- Mary Daft born 1st June 1686 (Hickling)
- Joseph Daft born 27th October 1689 (Hickling), died 29th April 1758 (Hickling) (see generation 8)
- Robert Daft died 2nd December 1717 (Hickling)
Joseph Daft; born 27th October 1689 (Hickling), died 29th April 1758 (Hickling).
- Married Elizabeth c.1713 (Hickling); born c.1681 (no data), died September 1767 (Nottinghamshire).
- Stephen Daft born 8th January 1714 (Hickling), died 24th December 1753 (Cropwell Bishop)
- Elizabeth Daft born May 1714 (Hickling), died March 1797 (Nottinghamshire)
- Mary Daft born 10th January 1718 (Hickling), died November 1804 (Leicestershire)
- Anne Daft born January 1720 (Hickling), died c.1754
- Joseph Daft born 22nd March 1721 (Hickling), died 1807 (see generation 9)
- Robert Daft born April 1724 (Hickling), died 3rd October 1771 (Nottinghamshire)
- Joseph Daft died 29th April 1758 (Hickling)
Joseph Daft born 22nd March 1721 (Hickling), died 5th November 1807 (Hickling)
- Married twice:
- Sarah Morris 26th October 1748 (in Hickling); born September 1727 (Hickling) – father William Morris (1686- ). Died 23rd March 1752 (Hickling).
- Elizabeth Fosterd 27th December 1752 (in Hickling); born c.1731 (probably Nether Broughton) – father Samuel Foster/Foscraft/Falstead (born Nether Broughton July 1690). Died 22nd January 1791 (Hickling).
- Children of Joseph and Sarah (Morris) Daft:
- Anne Daft; baptised 3rd September 1749 (Hickling), died June 1751
- William Daft; born c.1749 (Hickling), died 1797
- Children of Joseph and Elizabeth (Fosterd) Daft:
- Sarah Daft; born February 1761 (Nottinghamshire)
- Stephen Daft; baptised 4th July 1762 (Hickling), died March 1767
- John Daft – see generation 10
- Hannah Daft; born October 1768 (Nottinghamshire)
- Jane Daft; born April 1771 (Nottinghamshire)
- Eleanor Daft; born November 1773 (Nottinghamshire)
- Stephen Daft; born 19th September 1777 (Hickling), died 15th July 1843 (Nottinghamshire).
- Joseph Daft died 5th November 1807 (Hickling).
John Daft; baptised 1st July 1764 (Hickling), died 1797 (Hose)
- John Daft is recorded in Rothley, Leics on 30th August 1780 (duty paid for apprentices’ indenture)
- Married Ann Goodson 23rd September 1787 (in Hose); born March 1762 (Harby, Leics), died August 1845 (Hose) – daughter of William Goodson (1726- )
- Mary Daft born August 1789 (Hose), possible death record – (unmarried) Hawksworth, 1876
- William Daft born October 1791 (Hose)
- Jane Daft born c. 1793 (Hose), died August 1794 (Hose)
- Joseph Daft born June 1795 (Hose), died February 1800 (Hose)
- George Daft born December 1797 (Hose)
- John Daft born 1798, died 1879; married Anne Copley – see generation 11
- Stephen Daft born 1805 (Hose), died 1877 (Long Clawson)
- John Daft died 1797 (Hose); note – John and Stephen appear to be born after the death of their father (to be checked).
John Daft born 1798 (Hose), baptised 10th December 1799, died 1879
- Married Anne Copley 24th November 1830; born c. 1809 (Kinoulton, Notts)
- Will dated 24th November 1830 (Hose)
- Resident in Hose; census 1851, 1851, 1861, 1871
- Mary Daft born c.1831 (Hose) – recorded in 1841 census in Hose
- John Daft born 4th November 1833 (Hose), died 1917 (Hose)
- George Daft born 12th July 1835 (Hose), died 2nd June 1840 (Hose)
- Martha Daft born 8th October 1837 (Hose), died 27th July 1840 (Hose)
- Milicent Daft born December 1839 (Leicestershire), died 1842
- George Daft born 12th December 1841 (Hose) – recorded in 1851 census in Hose
- Stephen Daft born 7th January 1844 (Hose), died 1916. Census 1851 (Hose), census 1861 (Stanton-by-Dale, Derbys), census 1871 (Staveley, Derbys), census 1881 (Kinoulton, Notts), census 1891 & 1901 (Handsworth, Yorks). Died December 1916 (Sheffield).
- Thomas Copley Daft born 18th January 1846 (Hose), died 1880 – see generation 12
- Martha Daft born December 1850 (Hose), died September 1923 (Melton Mowbray). Census 1851 (Hose), census 1861 (Kinoulton), census 1871 (Langar, Notts). Married Thomas Brooks, January 1876 (Melton Mowbray). Census 1881 & 1891 (Leicester, St. Margaret’s), 1901 (Leicester), 1911 (Hose).
- John Daft died 15th December 1879 (Hickling).
Thomas Copley Daft baptised 18th January 1846 (Hose), died 1880
- Census 1851 (Hose), census 1861 (Langar)
- Daughter, Eliza Mees (see also, below), born July 1864 (Barnstone, Notts) – mother Ann Mees. In the 1881 census Eliza is recorded in her widowed mother’s household (Long Acre Spring Gardens, Bingham) as a lacehand (like her mother) and with her daughter, Anne Mees (born 1881, Bingham).
- Married Ann Mees – January 1871 (Bingham); born December 1846 (Barnstone), died Bingham March 1936 (Bingham)
- Eliza Mees born July 1864 (Barnstone, Notts)
- John Daft born 20th August 1871 (Barnstone), died 17th December 1952 (Nottingham)
- William Daft born October 1873 (Granby), died 1948 – see generation 13
- George Daft born 11th September 1876 (Granby), died 1948 – see generation 13
- Arthur Daft born 19th December 1876 (Granby), died 1943 (Bingham)
- Mary Ann Daft born July 1879 (Granby), died October 1885 (Bingham)
- Census 1871 (Barnstone)
- Thomas Copley Daft died January 1880 (Bingham), aged 34.
- (we have some additional information about Thomas Copley Daft which hasn’t yet been uploaded – please contact us if you are interested)
William Daft born October 1873 (Granby), died 1948 (great grandfather of family tree author)
- William: census 1881 (Bingham), census 1891 (possibly, East Bridgford, Notts)
- note; there is another William and Lucy Daft of similar ages in Notts at this time which causes some confusion (they have a son, Harold, in 1891).
- Married Lucy Rowley December 1896 (Basford, Nottingham); born January 1878 (Greasley, Notts), died January 1915 (Basford, Notts). Parents George (1851- ) and Martha Rowley (1853- ). Census 1881 (Greasley).
- Elizabeth Ann Daft born October 1897 (Kirkby-in-Ashfield), died 1961
- Lily Daft born 15th January 1899 (Kirkby-in-Ashfield), died 1982
- Samuel Daft born April 1900 (Kirkby-in-Ashfield), died 1926
- George Copley Daft born 13th Jan 1905 (Kirkby-in-Ashfield), died 1972
- Doris Edna Daft born 11th December 1906 (Kirkby-in-Ashfield), died 1968
- Hilda Daft born 4th February 1908 (Kirkby-in-Ashfield), died (?)
- Census 1901 confirms the family records: William (Granby – coal miner, hewer) Lucy (Greasley), Elizabeth Ann, Lily, Samuel – 3, Foster Street, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Basford, Notts.
- Census 1911; household is at 70, Harcourt St. Kirkby-in-Ashfield.
- William dies March 1918 (Basford district)
George Daft born 11th September 1876 (Granby), died 1948
- Census 1881 (Bingham, in his widowed mother’s household – lace hand), census 1891 (Bingham, in mother’s household, charwoman – Ag Lab)
- Married Mary Elizabeth Maltby, October 1899 (Bingham); born 1876 (Southwell), died 1959
- Thomas H Daft born c.1899 (Bingham), died 1924
- John Henry Daft born 23rd July 1900 (Bingham), died 1983
- Gertrude Mary Daft born 19th September 1901 (Bingham), died 1973
- Elizabeth Maltby Daft born 9th April 1903 (Bingham), died 1998
- Lottie Daft born 18th August 1907 (Bingham), died 2005
- Frederick Ernest Daft born 8th August 1910 (Bingham), died 1990
- Census 1901; the family is living in the household of George’s widowed mother on Long Acre Row in Bingham – he is a grocer’s drayman.
- Census 1911: the family is recorded at Starnhill Farm, Bingham; George is ‘Foreman on farm’
- 1939 Register: the family is at The Rosary, East Street, Bingham. George is a ‘small holder own account’
- George Daft died 9th November 1948 (Bingham)